The folks on the forums at Military.com put forward a challenge of a sort when they asked who would join the US in a coalition versus Iran. They also asked whether the US would aid Israel if Israel decided to strike at Iranian nuclear facilities.
First, I want to say that I am not a supporter of the concept of invading Iran. I calculate that regime change, similar to Iraq, would take a force of half-a-million personnel, cost $1 trillion, inflict 4,000 - 8,000 US dead and 30,000 - 50,000 wounded, and may take 3-7 years (which could be quite optimistic estimates).
- US vs. Iran -- A plan for a strike, containment and invasion of Iran.
- Middle East Weather Report: Mostly Sunni with a Chance of Shoa. -- A different plan, for achieving peace between the US and Iran.
- How we cannot expect a raid on Iran to be like the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo in World War II.
- An answer to "What would a US EU coalition look like, for Iran?" -- Basically, don't expect much.
- My expressed hope that the US and Iran work out a deal for the nuclear power plant.
- A reminder of Colonel North's role in Iran-Contra. And another reminder.
- How oil and nuclear power concerns could be eased if power production shifted towards wind power.