Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Get Well, Steve Jobs. R.I.P. Ricardo Montalban

It has been a while since I have written anything on my own personal blog. And this is a sort of odd reason to post a new entry.

While I generally do not comment about specific business leaders or celebrities, there are two people who I wanted to make note of today.

Steve Jobs, recovering from pancreatic cancer, has taken a leave of absence from Apple for medical reasons until June. Steve, I wish you the best for a recovery, and my best wishes for your family this year. After your “April Fool’s Day” revolution, begun in 1976, and your championing the invention of the Macintosh, which was released twenty five years ago, you deserve a nice break from all the hullabaloo of Silicon Valley. You know, I fondly recall making some nice artwork which showed up well on the Lisa, and banged out my first manuscripts on an Apple IIe and an Applie IIc. My personal career in the arts, in gaming, in publishing, business, and my adventures in life would not be possible without the innovation you and your cohorts helped birth into the world.

Ricardo Montalban, the ever-optimistic-about-love Mr. Roarke of ABC’s 1970s television series Fantasy Island, and the “superior being” Khan of Star Trek, and the nemesis of James T. Kirk in the movie The Wrath of Khan, has died at the age of 88. A true romantic, he died a year after his wife of 63 years Georgiana Young. They married in 1944, at the height of the Second World War. IMDB.com has a fitting review of his storied career. One bit of trivia: his first film was the 1942 war picture Five Were Chosen, with Victor Kilian and Howard De Silva. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment