Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 2008: Episode 4: No Sleeping for a Disaster or a Friend’s Text Pages

I was just about to head to sleep when my 12-year old friend Eli sent me a text message to my Sprint Treo 650.

5:08 AM: “Hey heading to school.”

This is Pacific time. He’s two hours ahead of me. So he’s now heading out at 7:08 AM Central. He didn’t think to calculate this as 5:08 AM Pacific. He apologized, but... It’s alright.

In fact, it gave me reason to look at the historical timeline.

At 8:13:31 AM Eastern (5:13:31 AM Pacific), on September 11th, 2001, American Airlines Flight 11 last communicated with Boston air traffic control. So at this point, there’s no rest for the wicked. The events of 9/11 would already be unfolding historically, 7 years ago this day.

At 8:20 AM, American Airlines Flight 11’s transponder stopped transmitting its IFF signal. That would have already been seven minutes ago. While Eli, my WoW friend Gourt was texting me about heading to school, I would have been distracted enough to have missed seven vital minutes.

At 8:26 AM, in 2001, American Airlines Flight 11 would already have turned 100 degrees and headed directly towards New York City. Even as I read the history and type these notes, I am struggling to avoid falling behind. It is 8:31 AM in the present day.

No comments:

Post a Comment